September 28th, 1920: st Josemaria enters the seminary

Four and a half years went by until he was ordained to the priesthood, and during this time he was in the San Carlos seminary. On his arrival, he gave the doorman of the seminary his tobacco and pipes and never smoked again.
for St. Josemaria it was a very drastic change of life and environment: "When I entered the seminary, I used, as I've always been, to wear my shoes and clothes very clean: I don't understand why but, for whatever reason, for some there (...) I was the "señorito" (a pejorative term meaning "rich kid", "snob"). Another reason for astonishment (...) came from the fact that I showered every day: again, the epithet of "señorito".
Soon after, the mocking was about his piety: the daily visits to the Basilica of the Pillar earned him the nickname of "mystical rose". He would also be called "the dreamer", due to his enthusiasm with which he used to speak to his classmates about the apostolate that they could do.
Ten days after entering the seminary he was put in charge of the Association of the Apostolate of Prayer for the course 1920 - 1921, quite likely because from the first moment, it was seen in him a solid life of piety. One of his classmates mentioned "He was the only one of the seminarians that I knew who would come down to the Church in his free time". 

No comments:

Post a Comment