June 26th, 1944: Don Alvaro hears sacramental Confession for the first time

The day after the ordination of the first three, St. Josemaria went to the centre in Villanueva street in Madrid, which was bl. Alvaro's residence (along with other members of the Work. St Josemaria was living in the centre at Diego de Leon). St. Josemaria asked him if he had yet heard a sacramental confession. When bl. Alvaro answered no, st. Josemaria said: “Then the first one will be mine: I want to make a general confession with you”. Our father mentioned later that, after his confession, don Alvaro didn’t want to say anything and started reciting the formula for absolution, and our father interrupted: “My son, I understand if you don’t want to give me any advice, but you have to give me my penance”. Don Alvaro gave him his penance, and then he was so nervous that he forgot the formula for absolution, despite knowing it very well of course. St. Josemaria continued telling it to him in full. From that day on until his death, don Alvaro was St. Josemaria's confessor.

The photo is of that very day, and that room is still the chapel at that centre in Madrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment